Saturday, November 21, 2009

API Package Numba 2!

I got mail yesterday! I never get mail. Not even a "How are you doing, honey" card from my parents, let alone a care package. It's fine. I'm sure my parents love me...

The big envelope is from API, Academic Programs International, the group that is taking me to Ireland. I received a phone service informational packet, a list of participating students, and an informational booklet.

The list of participating students contains full name, University, e-mail, cell phone, and home phone. Not only can I facebook stalk each one, but I can call you, e-mail you, and find out where you live. My inner stalker in me is giggling. API is encouraging stalking. I approve.

Aright, to the booklet! Let's read this together, shall we? First page:

"The insides of this booklet are printed on 100% recycled post-consumer paper. Enjoy."

...Enjoy? Am I supposed to eat it?

*flip* Letter to parents. Well, they don't send me mail, why should I give them a letter?
*flip* Student safety update. Useless since we all know no one ever gets in trouble in a foreign country...
*flip* Culture shock. More on that during my special review of the Colleges of the Fenway extra green (in color) travel abroad packet.

Ah, here we are. National University of Ireland, Galway. I'm assuming it's not unlike the UMass system we have here...but cheaper for Irish students. That's fine. I enjoy paying $40,000+ for my education and being up to my eyeballs in debt for America! Because profit, as we all know, is more important than actually knowing shit about life.

Random bits of useful information for you (useful to me, ha!):

-A full load is considered six classes. Well, I'm screwed. For some reason we are not allowed to register until we arrive, which I think is ridiculous since I'll only have about a week to see if A my first choices don't interfere with each other and B to contact my advisers if none of my classes I pre-approved are available. C'est la vie I guess.

-Our grade is pretty much based on one test at the end of the semester. I don't know how I feel about. Constant testing/papers+ finals with varying levels of stress vs. one MoFo of a test at the end with not a whole lot of stress until it snowballs into a giant hump on your back stress at the end of the year. I'll tell you how it is next May.

-The student population is about 12,000 students. I'll be okay since I have "experience" at a big school. To those who may be nervous, the only real difference is the walking distance. And class sizes. You'll make friends with the people you live with and the school will rapidly shrink. Mostly because you'll be walking faster to make your class on time with no food or coffee in you with a giant headache courtesy of the night before and oh great, you have a pop quiz. Or was that just me?

I guess that's the basics since I really do not know anything yet, not until I arrive. 43 days.

Till then, peace love, always,

Jackie O

No comments:

Post a Comment